Variations Generations Bug

products
variations

Hi, I’ve been trying to generate child products for a base product however it’s not generating the correct amount of child products.

For example:

Base Product: P1-{SIZE}-{COLOR}
Size Options: S, M, L
Color Options: RD, YW

I then create 2 variations for size and color and added price modifiers for both size and color. When i create the relationship for the product using the 2 variations and build the product children it only creates 6 children.

I want it to create 9 children:
P1-S
P1-M
P1-L
P1-S-RD
P1-S-YW
P1-M-RD
P1-M-YW
P1-L-RD
P1-L-YW

Instead it just creates these 6:
P1-S-RD
P1-S-YW
P1-M-RD
P1-M-YW
P1-L-RD
P1-L-YW

Am i doing something wrong? Any amount of help would be much appreciated because i’ve been trying to solve this for an entire day

Hey Dan,

Sorry you are experiencing this; if possible could you send me your store id please? I would like to access your store data and take a look at what’s going on, is that OK?

Thanks

Hi Dan,

Variations work by applying the variations you set to a base product and then creating each combination possible.

The base product is actually a template and variations are those options that must be selected in order to drill down to a real product that actually exists.

By way of an example and using your scheme…

Base Product: P1-{SIZE}-{COLOR}
Size Options: S, M, L
Color Options: RD, YW

The base product comes in 3 sizes and 2 colours. So we have a t-shirt…

It comes in 3 sizes and 2 colours - you can’t have a red t-shirt, nor can you have a small t-shirt but you CAN have a small red t-shirt.

This is the purpose of variations - it ensures that all options are selected.

Hope this helps.

Oh okay i get it now. Thanks Ian. How do I get the base product only when getting products? And can you elaborate on the purpose of variation matrix and how to use it. I want a customer to be able to select a product (base product) then choose size and color of that product then update the price shown. Would I use variation matrix for this?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.