[feature request] Add a new endpoint that will allow for getting child products based on the main product ID

Let me explain the structure of my store (it’s really simple) first, then I’ll explain why having such an endpoint is a good idea and what problems does it solve.

Store structure

The store I’m trying to build with Moltin is a simple photo-stock-like site. Each photo in my database has 4 sizes: sm, md, lg, and xl. So for each product in my DB I’ve created a corresponding Moltin product and build variations with a price modifier. The price of my products depends only on the size parameter.

Now each Molting product has 4 children. I only want child products to be purchasable because I can’t sell the main products (they don’t have sizes) - they are just “dummy” products created just in order to create variations and child products based on them. So I decided to set their statuses to draft - so that they no longer appear in API responses and are not available for purchase.

In my database, I store Moltin product’s ID-s as properties of my photos. So I have a simple 1:1 relationship between by DB photos and Moltin products.

The problem

After I implemented the described data structure I realised that there’s no way I can get child products based on my main products ID-s. The only way to get child products is to get the main product and then get the references of child products. I could do it only if my main products had a status of live instead of draft.

The only workaround I found (thanks to @Matt from tech support) is to change the statuses of main products back to live and set their count to 0 in order to prevent them from being purchased … which is kind of a solution, but it seems hacky. I would prefer not to publicly expose products that I’m not able to sell.

The solution

I believe that the store I’m trying to build is very generic, so my problem is not an edge-case. An additional endpoint, let’s say: /products/:id/children/, would solve the problem.